Home

Buffy/Angel FanFiction

Spander Haiku

What I'm reading

Visit my LiveJournal

Feedback


Don't Forget the Mistletoe
   
 

Pairing: Spike/Xander
Rating: PG
Summary: Spike and Xander have a holiday get together at Xander’s apartment. This is a very fluffy story with a tiny bit of angst.
Disclaimer: Don’t own anything except student loans, so don’t sue me.
Advertisement: Part of the Slash Advent Calendar of 2003.
Beta: Many, many thanks to Silvertedy for beta reading this. Without her there would be no story. I owe you, dear.


December 20, 2002

Xander was sleeping peacefully, dreaming of half-naked slayers-in-training flouncing around his apartment when loud banging sounds and a muttering Spike woke him.

“Mother... damn door... Bloody tree... get. in. here. damn it.”

Xander weaved into the living room bleary eyed and wondering what was going on. The space directly before him was dark, but the light coming through the front door from the hallway illuminated Spike and what appeared to be a very large Christmas tree.

“Buggering tree,” Spike muttered as he continued trying to fit the huge tree through the door.

“Umm... Spike?”

Spike was clearly surprised to find the boy awake.

“Umm... what are you doing?”

“I’m trying to get this bleeding Christmas tree through the door. What’s it look like I’m doing?”

“Well... Why are you bringing a Christmas tree into my apartment?”

“Cuz Christmas is only a week away. Where else are we going to put all the pressies you’re gonna buy me?” Spike smirked, his eyes twinkling. Xander thought of Santa as a vampire and had to hold back a laugh.

“Pressies? Why would I buy you presents? Wait... Do vampires even celebrate Christmas?”

“Of course we celebrate Christmas. We’re not heathens. You just gonna stand there and stare or you gonna come help me?”

Against his better judgment, Xander helped Spike get the tree into the apartment and propped up in the corner. “I’m going back to bed, Spike. Try not to make too much noise? I have to work in the morning.”

“Whatever.” Spike went back out the front door and Xander went back to bed.

***

December 21, 2002

Xander woke and went to make some coffee. As he passed through the living room he remembered the night before and looked over to where they had left the tree. The tree was now in a stand and decorated with old-fashioned wooden ornaments and popcorn strands. He looked up and noticed an angel on top. As he got closer, he realized it wasn’t just any angel. It looked like a bobble-head of ... The Angel, Buffy’s Angel, complete with fangs and a little heart drawn on his chest. Xander snickered, imagining Spike had drawn it there to represent Angel’s soul.

Who sells bobble-heads that look like Angel?

Other than the odd tree-topper, however, the tree actually looked really nice. Traditional. Not at all what Xander would have expected from Spike. His own family hadn’t put up a tree much past the time he could crawl. There wasn’t much point when they were just going to get drunk and knock it over. Xander suddenly realized that he wouldn’t be spending this Christmas in his backyard, or in the basement. Nor would he be spending it with Anya. Instead, he would be spending it alone. No ... not alone. He had Spike.

Shit. Does this mean I need to buy him presents?

Xander shook his head and went on about his day.

***

Spike woke up late that afternoon. As he walked by his tree en route to the kitchen he stopped. He smiled, happy with the decorating he’d finished early that morning. He hadn’t had a nice Christmas since before first coming to Sunnydale, and he was looking forward to enjoying the holiday once again.

As he drank his breakfast of blood and weetabix, he flipped on the radio and tuned in a station playing holiday music. He hummed along as he got out the gifts he’d hidden in his room over the last few weeks. Dropping to the floor, he began wrapping gifts for the Scoobies. Couldn’t not get something for the old crew at this point.

He’d just finished wrapping Xander’s gift, when said human came through the front door and flopped down on the sofa.

“Rough day?”

“Huh?”

“You look like you had a rough day.”

“Oh... yeah.” Xander stared at Spike. “Why?”

“Just being nice.”

“Oh.”

Xander watched Spike as he started wrapping another box and noticed all the gifts already under the tree.

“The tree looks …well…WOW.”

“Thanks.”

“It kinda took me by surprise.”

Spike looked up and hesitated before speaking. “I like Christmas. Haven’t had a proper one in a long time. Thought it might be nice.”

“Yeah.” Xander watched as Spike returned his attention to his package. The wrapping was beautiful -- fancy paper, cloth ribbon, nice tag. “So... I guess you got gifts for Buffy, huh?”

“And the others.”

“The others?”

“Dawn, Willow, Anya, you, Clem, Andrew, and Giles.” Spike applied another piece of tape. “Not for that Robin fellow, though. He just gets a card and some coal.”

“Andrew? You got Andrew a gift?” He got me a gift?

“Yeah, found an original Boba Fett, remembered he liked that kind of crap.”

“Huh.”

...

“I thought maybe we could invite everyone over here for a change. Have a nice dinner … exchange gifts ...”

“Here? Umm... okay.”

“Good. I’ll spread the word. Christmas Eve okay?”

“Yeah, sure... Wait. I don’t know anything about cooking a Christmas dinner.”

“No problem, pet. All under control.”

Pet? Did he just call me ‘pet’? “Oh... okay... I’m gonna go take a shower. I’m patrolling tonight.”

“You do that. I’ll see you later. I’ve got some more shopping to do.”

More shopping?! Xander looked under the tree and couldn’t imaging what else Spike had to buy, there were already more gifts than there were Scoobies--even temporary, “honorary” ones. Guess I should probably pick up a few things myself.

***

December 24, 2002

Xander woke up on Christmas Eve with a stomach that swung between being full of butterflies and leaded with dread. Over the past few days, he and Spike had spent evenings planning their party. Now the day was here. There was still lots to do. He needed to finish cleaning while Spike started the meal. Everyone was coming over by 2:00.  The plan was to eat, open gifts and then spend the rest of the evening catching up, talking and possibly watching some tried-and-true holiday flicks. He’d given explicit orders (as much as he was able to give explicit orders to a Slayer, a witch, a former Watcher, and various demons and Potentials) that The First would just have to fend for himself tonight. No patrolling allowed.

Xander walked to the kitchen and found Spike already there, pulling two pies out of the oven. He stood in the doorway watching the vampire bustle around and smiled. The smell was heavenly, apple pie and coffee -- there was a fresh pot just waiting for him. But his path to the coffee maker was blocked by bags of groceries.

“Morning, Spike. Can I get a cup of coffee?”

“Sure, pet.” Spike poured a cup and carried it over, carefully skirting the bags. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.”

Spike passed him the cup and gave him a kiss. Xander nearly dropped the mug.

“W-w-what was that?”

Spike pointed above their heads. “You’re standing under the mistletoe, Xan.”

Xan? Pet? Kisses? What’s going on?

“Umm... yeah ...,” Xander turned and left.

***

Xander stood in the shower, hot water running down his back and thought about the last few days. Spike had been nice, happy even. He was excited about Christmas and hosting the party. And it all seemed real, genuine. He just wanted to have a nice holiday and bring some joy to the Scoobies. Xander smiled, determined that Spike would indeed have a good day. Now if only he could figure out that kiss.

I was under the mistletoe, that’s all.

Yeah, but it wasn’t just a peck on the cheek. It was a soft, gentle kiss on the lips.

But I didn’t kiss back.

But you wanted to.

What? I did not.

Did too.

Did not.

Did too.

Did not.

Fine. You didn’t, but you liked it.

What? Did not.

Did too.

Did not.

Did.

No.

Yes.

Did I?


Xander turned off the water, dried off, and stepped out of the shower. He wasn’t sure if he was more or less confused than before.

***

Meanwhile, in the kitchen Spike was busy basting the turkey and having his own internal debate.

What’d you kiss him for?

He was standing under the mistletoe!

So? He hates you.

Does not.

Does too.

Does not. He let’s me live here. He’s been nice.

Okay, maybe he doesn’t hate you, but he’s not going to kiss you back, you know?

Why not?

Hello? Vampire? Evil soulless thing?

Got a soul now, though.

True, but still the undead. Plus, even with the soul you killed all those people.

Right. He’s not gonna kiss me back
.

Frowning, Spike put the turkey back in the oven and muttered to himself, “Maybe I can catch him under the mistletoe again.”

***

Dinner had gone without a hitch, and the presents had been exchanged with much delight. Andrew had practically knocked Spike down flinging himself into the vampire’s arms to thank him for his action figure. Xander wasn’t as physical, but he clearly had liked the watch Spike had given him. He’d put the watch onbefore anyone else could see the “X-- Thanks. S” engraved on the back. But he had looked at Spike and smiled -- a warm, generous smile -- and mouthed, “Thank you.”

Xander had given Spike a sweater. Spike sat simply fingering the grey cashmere for several minutes after opening the gift. So soft, so warm. But as he caressed the sweater, he wondered if it felt anywhere near as good as Xander’s skin surely did. Get over it, git, he’s not interested in you.

The other Scoobies had been equally pleased with their gifts of clothes, music, semi-automatic crossbow and arrows (for Buffy, of course, though Giles had been a warm admirer), DVDs, and other assorted goodies. They had sat chatting and then watching It’s a Wonderful Life. Throughout the movie, Spike and Xander kept sneaking glances, wondering what the other was thinking. Each felt like a schoolboy with a silly crush.

After the movie, hugs were exchanged and the guests filed out. Spike went to the kitchen to clean up, while Xander picked up the wrapping paper. Carrying the trash to the kitchen, he found Spike staring out the window at the waning moon, his back to Xander. Xander paused in the doorway, watching him. There was something in the set of his shoulders and the tilt of his head that made Xander think something was wrong.

“Spike?”

Spike reached up to his face but did not turn around.

“Yeah, pet?” His voice was choked.

“You okay? Didn’t you have a good time?”

“I’m fine. It was wonderful. Thank you again.”

Xander crossed the room and touched Spike’s shoulder, forcing him to turn around. He was right, Spike had been crying. “What’s wrong, Spike?”

“Just thinking about Christmases past … wondering if there’ll be any future ones. Wondering if I’ll ever get the one gift I’ve been wanting since I was human.”

“What’s that?”

“Someone I love to share the day with. I thought Dru and I had that, but... well….” Spike turned back to the window and wiped away another tear.

Xander wasn’t sure what to do. He’d seen Spike when Dru had left him, seen how heartbroken he had been. Of course, he hadn’t believed him then. That was Spike before the chip, before the Soul, before he’d become part of Xander’s circle. He walked back to the doorway to give Spike some privacy and then stopped as he remembered something.

“Hey Spike?”

Spike turned. “Yeah?”

“Come here.” Xan cocked his head, motioning Spike to him.

Spike hesitated and then crossed to Xander. “What?”

Xander leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to his lips.

“W-w-what was that for.”

Xander pointed up. “Mistletoe,” he whispered as he leaned in for another kiss.

The End